18 July 2017

 
Geez my mum is dumb. She just figured out how to unlock the comments settings on this blog...duuuuuh. So everyone who was trying to talk to me through mum couldn't...duuuuuuh. And they say pets are like their owners? (PLEASE...enough of the insults you human lot). So send me lots of kisses instead. I am such a smart boy after all.
 
Anyway we have had some excitement, and I spent last night OUTSIDE - because I HAD TO CHASE AWAY A FOX...so much like fun (yes and no) - no snoring on lounge-room floor. But apparently I did a good job cause wow did I get treats in morning! CUDDLES GALLORE.

20 July 2017

Thank you for that input Rex....I can always rely on a four legged canine for considerable conscientious advice and well, stuff.

Anyway - this cold shit is getting monotonous; I mean FFS who lives in a fibro cottage with  morning temperature of "1.9 degrees C'' ?? (that's = to 35.42 degrees F for all those northern hemi-folk).
Well apparently I do...ok I'll stop whinging now.

Good news - after loosing a chook on Sunday night to a fox, and Rex failing to be the effective guard dog (well you let me sleep inside mum!) the other three chooks played Houdini on me for 48 hours. Then last night after a late return from trip south I couldn't find any of them. I was very worried for their welfare, as being eaten alive is not the most attractive form of 'next world entry', but then this morning I found all three of them again, so they obviously have an alternative hiding place overnight.

Odd feeling to see that your livestock is safe and happy again, kind of like your children are safe. And on the note of livestock, we have had another four legged visitor who is playing Houdini with a neighbour. My old farmer neighbour down the road has about 50 head of cattle in a paddock next door. Well one 2.5 year old heifer, in calf, decided to taste the grass in the orchard on Monday night, and has been playing chase ever since...we just cant seem to catch her. So I decided to let her wonder around and not spook her as she seems to like playing hop scotch on irrigation lines. More on that later.

It's at this point I realise I should explain a bit about the Assistance Dog training. For those who have been reading this Blog from the beginning - as well as the friends who are aware - the training of Rex is actually for my benefit. Many a time I take him for training walks into town; sit him outside a shop or two, so he learns to stay in one place and not sniff and lick strangers. And nearly every time I do this people ask me what is he being trained for? Am I the trainer? When will he be leaving me??(!!!)
The answer to these questions is quite straight forward.
He is my dog - he is not leaving me - and he is in training for me. I need him. He is my assistance dog. Why?? I am a Veteran with a mental illness. There I've said it. Take a deep breath. That was big.

This is a journey of healing and being on the farm is also part of it.

22 July 2017

Then I saw the rabbit. Bounding legs, a ruddy red brown in colour and running for its life.

"'Run rabbit, run rabbit ...run..run  RUN....."

Yes the local species Rabitus Terrifidicus was being hotly pursued by none other than the World Champion overland farm racing Labrador....

"Rexy gonna bite ya on the BUM, BUM, BUM....."

My son had taken Rex out for a morning walk, as it was his last day on farm before returning to his metropolis down south. I'd watched the two of them wonder off into the bush...then I saw the rabbit launch like a rocket out of the undergrowth, with the hound on its heels!

"'wont. be. long. till- I -get -you- on- the -run...so run rabbit,  run rabbit..." (ok mum ... enough.)

My feet are cold. It's a beautiful morning and I reckon once I thaw out I'll head off to the markets. Chooks are roaming safely, sun is shining, and life is good. Time to get that cement mixer moving around again this afternoon and fill up those planter boxes with some good quality topsoil. Today we plan to plant out the chitted potatoes. They've been growing merrily on shelf here for about a week now. Some Jersey Royals and Kipflers to go into one planter box alone. That will get them going by Spring. Boiled new potatoes with melted butter....yummmm.

23 July 2017

Potatoes planted, beetroot too. Then onto finishing off that IMO3 batch. If your new to this blog I suggest reading back into May, as that's where I explain what Indigenous Microorganisms are.

Or just ask Mr/s Google? I hear he/she is most knowledgeable.

Anyway IMO3 was put to seed and it flourished with vigour, albeit a bit slow, but that I suspect was due to lower outside temperatures overall. But once transferred into an Esky inside, it just took off. So lesson learnt there - microbial growth needs an ambient air temperature to kick start. A week passed in the Esky and with being turned over each day, the sweet bakery smells filled the cottage every day. Just delicious. A towel draped over top of Esky allowed the aerobic activity to bloom. Once all the moisture was used up in the batch the temperature slowed and batch was ready to move on to become IMO4. That's now made and outside brewing away again.

So what's the purpose of all this (I hear many of you say)? Well this process actually cultivates billions (ahem gazillions) of beneficial bacteria and fungi as a means for soil improvement and conditioning. IMO3 mixed with equal amount of soil and brewed for a week becomes IMO4. Its a slow process but such is the way with organic practice in Korean Natural Faming. The trees/plants etc need this microbial level in order to take up the right amount of nutrients from soil. They are the root catalysts for that process.

At this point I could of brewed the IMO3 with water, aerated it for 36 hours to create a liquid conditioner to spray on trees/soil. But for this first batch I'll take it all the way to IMO5, and also put on another batch of IMO3 next week. The concept is to keep it turning over with batches, and adding to soil in the meantime. The owner was quite curious to learn all this when I explained it to him, but I assured him the tree health here has nothing to loose, and everything to gain. So we have embarked upon a 3 year plan to improve the orchards, and as the caretaker here that's my principle purpose.

When we spray our soils with weedkiller, we actually kill all the beneficial bacteria and fungi in soil around that plant, which depletes a plants ability to take up correct nutrient levels.

Throw the weedkiller out people. Pull the weeds out instead.

I am sitting out on the porch having a morning coffee, its about 7:45am, the sun has just risen. The air is clean, drinkable so, clarity almost divine. Then a certain 4 legged Golden Mutt wants to be cuddled. So the 35kg of canine sookeyness has climbed halfway onto my lap (hind legs on porch) to receive morning smooch. This is his morning ritual and gives me much needed calming; a great way to start the day. Now I am covered in dog hair. Oh well its a small price.

I hear the destructive tones of the Black Cockatoo flying outside - might do some Droning I reckon.

It may be SE Queensland, and it may be middle of winter, but Spring is coming with a vengeance. Today topped a beautiful 26 degree Celsius. Trees are starting to flower with macadamia blossom; such an intoxicating aroma. Was such a curious noise to be trying to prune around the bees, who are making themselves heard. That chainsaw got plenty of action today too with lopping and skirting.

The sun is setting, jazz is playing, wine is poured and tis now time to light the incinerator.

Its feeling good to be alive.

28 July 2017

I sometimes wonder where to start these episodes. Worrying that what I think is readable material will not be viewed as such. But the hits this blog has been getting has changed my mind on that and I am very humbled by all your reactions and support...so thanks everyone.

However there have been some really funny entries to tell you about this week, and of course they involve animals in all their glory. Oh that's right I mean T-Rex. So here's the thing. I get the irrigation turned on and start watering the lower orchard - slowly working my way through each row with replacing and repairing the sprinklers along the lines. But the water loving DOG thinks this is just an extension of going swimming in the dam. I was busily working away, head down as you do.

I had honestly lost track of where Rex was. He loves running after me in the Golf buggy (aptly named Bugger) and had run of somewhere to sniff about. Only to return covered in mud. A sprinkler had burst and he decides to have a mud bath in it. Hmmmmm....and more hmmmmmm. 

That's what I do woman...I am a dog.

So the sun is setting and I am trying to repair a burst water line, getting soaked for my efforts and a muddy love struck Labrador is prancing around me in circles. Its fun Its fun Its fun.

Next entry. Swimming in the dam - no not T-Rex this time , but me. Yes indeed I gave the ''Mutster" a right fright, and jumped into the dam with him on Monday - well it was quite a warm day and plenty of pruning was hot sweaty work. So I went for a swim! He was so surprised at first didn't know what to do - just stood on edge looking at me.

That's a very odd fur coat you have mum. White and blubby?? (Shut up Rex).

And the next one.  So the other creatures of disaster here at Baupal Park Farm are the chickens- or should I say one in particular. After finally getting them to return together into the coop at night, following the Fox disaster, I have been perplexed as to where they have been laying their eggs. Yes the first broody clutch was located in long grass near dam edge - that was easy enough. Then I stalked the so called delinquent hen, and watched in horror as she went under the bloody porch to lay!!!

Give me a break girls....so under the porch I leopard crawl, into the cobwebs and dirt....and when I caught up with her she was not a very happy girl.....check it out.




Ok, so I don't spend all week with animal antics, but do actually conduct some horticulture. The next stage of the Korean Natural Farming practice here is moving along well, and last week we put that IMO4 onto seed. It has bloomed extremely well with loads of white fungal growth. So I made a short video for you all. I hope this gives you a better idea of how much microorganisms I am growing here.
By end of week it should be ready (weather dependant) to add into a large pile of animal pooh. Remember that massive pile I mentioned a while back? Well that is what it is for  - the IMO4, once its finished in the fourth stage it will be added to pooh to begin its fifth and final stage. What happens after that you'll have to wait for...yes its too much for me too.

And to finish off the week my yellow Ringnecks are MATING!!! Spring is definitely coming.
Ha - not for you Rex.











 

 
 

Comments

Popular Posts