16 Oct 2017

Ok... yes its quite unseasonal to blog midweek...but I'm flooded in...yes it hasn't stopped raining for ten days (on and off) and for last 4 to be sure, (to be sure). The dam's look like Olympic sized swimming pools and that DOG is revelling in it.

Not in the dam's but because he can stay inside ALL DAY LONG!

Hehe - yep indeedy!!

The last huge rain event we had here was back in March only 1 week after I arrived to the farm, and it was Cyclonic too, which filled the dams completely. 87mm over 8 days till last Friday morning, then in last 3 days 24mm, 31mm and I haven't been outside since 6am. But by the look of the dam below the cottage it will be over 50mm, to be sure. And by flooded-in I mean, unless I drag car out behind the tractor, I'm staying put....maybe all week.

Oh well, means I have to get creative with the food situation, but at least I wont run out of nuts. And with plenty of drinking water I will definitely survive. But will cottage sink? With no solid concrete foundations to rest upon, the base of the cottage is just sitting on an old steel frame from a truck or some sort. A few months ago I got the builder out here to jack up the unlevelled corners, which was great relief as no more walking around at 5 degrees off kilter. Anyway we shall have to just ride (swim) this one out. At least the orchard is getting a thorough soaking, as are the chickens. John Wayne has tail feathers wet to the ground, but oddly enough they don't look too bothered.

And with the rain here means nothing else can get done until it stops. The saying ''make hay while the sun shines'' is so very apt right now. So back to reading my book and binge watching Outlander. Thank God for Foxtel and Sam Heughan. (swoon).

Comments

Popular Posts