5 Nov 2017

Its 5:49 am on Sunday morning. Instead of trying to ignore my organic alarm clock John Wayne, I decided to go with the flow, get up and write this mornings entry while my coffee brewed on work bench behind me.

Something I have never asked before is who is reading this blog? I mean where are you all? Its a joy to see the stats each week, growing steadily, but I'd love to know who you are. I get automatic read receipts from America, Poland , France, everywhere - so after 1000+ reads (is that what they are called?) its time. Time to ask about the audience - Who are you?! What do you do??

Apart from my family and friends that I know have reminders set about this blog, it is international, so if you are a passionate organic farmer, a veteran with PTSD or something else... (coffee is ready), then lets hear from you.

Ok - back to farming matters. For all the city folk out there, and I was one too for LONNNNNG time, living on a farm has become a totally life changing matter. Yes I can still drive into town, when wet weather doesn't prevent me, and bog me in but life here if different. I work to the sun. Dawn to dusk. In fact for last 4 days I have been working with just cutting the grass...its growing as I look at it! And 330mm of rain has that super kryptonite effect on weeds too. But after setting up the side slasher, and some neck readjustments I finally figured out how to cut grass on a 90 degree angle, and drive forward at same time. The results are good but it takes time. Each row up and down 3 times. Hmmm coffee.

Apart from the now bowling green farm, the rain brought with it erosion, and this week I also spent half a day filling sand bags - sooooooo enjoyable. Please excuse my sarcasm. Each one at approximately 50-60 kg once full, and 20 bags later, I drove off in the ute with trailer in tow, full of sand bags. Lets just say the weight and suspension on trailer did not like each other. That's the beauty of living on a farm. Every day you learn something new - like don't drive a ute towing a trailer with (quick math calculation) over quarter tonne sand in bags. Across wettish grass - in the morning.

Stupid woman. Oh well I am learning. And thank god for the tractor - that will pull me out of boggy spot this morning, once I finish this blog etc.

I have new visitors. Two local wild wood ducks have decided to join the chickens with feeding time each morning in front of cottage and another Goanna appeared yesterday to Rex's delight (not the Goannas). And Rex. Yes lets say someone has been a bit naughty.

Yesterday I had to go into town to pick up a new toy. Kybota Brush Cutter. The weeds are starting to get a hold on orchard, so its time I got a hold of them. Anyway, so I am setting up my new toy and its in a very big box mind, but once in back of car I decided to leave it there, set it up from the boot etc.
Somewhere from out of the cyberspace a certain cunning canine appeared.

New toys, new toys, CARDBOARD...... yes Rex loves cardboard boxes.

I turned around to see part of the Kybota being dragged off up the hill towards the dam.......and the conclusion to that, next week.

Comments

Popular Posts