17 Dec 2017

I'm late. Yes I know. Been busy week. But that's a good thing cause means I have loads to update you all on of course. So as I sit eating my toast on porch in early morning sunshine, this large heifer wonders past....Rex thought she has come over to play. Sunshine, dam, chicks, heifer....bliss. Last week I announced the new calf arrival. This week it seems one of the 6 cows decided she wanted a taste of the grass from the orchard...and has been merrily jumping a fence. Three times she was caught out in the orchard munching away, (and joined me at breakfast time) and each time it was a comical act to herd her back in. She is now locked into the vet crush awaiting to be moved back to her farm across the road. Purgatory for fence jumping I reckon. I can hear her mooing from cottage.

The next amazing animal antic occurred on Sunday night, but I have had to wait till now to tell you. It seems we had a large 5 foot carpet snake living on the roof of the cottage...unbeknownst to me. Well that was until it tried to eat my birds. The first time it appeared it merely scared the single Budgee to death. (Yes I found him in cage passed out dead from shock). Well I don't blame him it was a bloody big snake compared to the size of a Budgee - poor baby. On this occasion I shooed snake away, as it was quite late at night and I was fairly groggy with sleep to deal with it. But when said snake appeared again the next night....well....it was game on....and I was READY. With my secret weapon.

Mrs yellow mummy Ringreck alerted me and started screeching. I came outside onto porch to find said carpet snake half way into their cage! But not for long. A vigorous battle ensured with my trusty rolling pin. I won needless to say, and the smell of rotting carpet snake has permeated the atmosphere for last few days. But birds are safe. Pheww and poohwee that snake stunk. But it was simply the action of microbes at work...something I should be grateful for.
On the run first time
 
Now back to more important issues. Cutting grass. How long does it take you to mow your lawn???
After three days of intermittent mowing....my bones are shaking and ears ringing...but its finally done. Well until the next time. With the amount of rain we have had I can only wait another 2 weeks, then will have to start it all over again. Then there is the erosion work to attend to. The rains have created a great gouge in one bank between dams and upper orchard, made worse by years of tractor traffic. Sandbagging and matting will hopefully fix that. That's life on the farm I suppose.

But the most endearing episode this week was to find a little green tree frog - minus one leg, still alive in my shower. So there he will stay, to happily eat stray mosquitoes and enjoy a daily wash.
And just to finish off I think, here is a little picture of some very big nuts......macadamias of course.
It appears the work of Korean Natural Farming is actually starting to pay off.

 

Comments

Popular Posts