30 Dec 2017

It has just occurred to me that I have been writing these posts since April now. You know that feeling you get from actually achieving something - its a warm good satisfying feeling.

YEAH I did it. Each week (or so) reporting in on the farms progress, sharing my wins and losses.

So where to from here? Well as this is my last post for 2017 I thought I'd recap on the main events as they had happened....just to finish up for the year....and boy oh boy have things happened here.

In March I left my military life behind, moved to the farm, set up in a tiny one bedroom workers cottage. Slept on floor for first 4 nights while waiting for all my junk to arrive from final Army posting. (So glad that's over.) Cyclone Debbie hit a week later and with a leaking roof all the dams filled up.

Then April saw the start of the KNF practices, IMO, OHN, WCA and WCAP etc etc (read back to find out if you cant remember!). Settling in and coming to terms with what will have to happen from midyear. Missing Anzac day - yeah that PTSD shit was still pretty ugly back then.

In May things really ramped up. Nuts got harvested to the factory, the cottage started to sink into mud, I crashed my new drone while chasing Black Cockatoos, had surgery on my knee, worked out how to make sourdough from scratch, got bee hives ordered and generally settled into life here on farm.

June saw the cold weather arrive - omg I was cold. Lots of pooh collecting (WTF! - read back to find out why), Rex discovers a hot bath at the kennels, potassium fires in incinerators, rat hotels to make, loosing all my smaller birds, and Rex starts his Assistance dog training.

July was a huge month. Driving around farm, and crashing, commencing studies at college, extracting chooks from under porch (grrr), then loosing a chook to a lone fox late at night, garden shows at Nambour and more cold weather (brrrr). Oh and parrots mating.

August was beautiful, full of spring blossom, Oh that smell! Tonnes of work irrigating - water in dams running low, low, low. Stupid accident with jockey wheels, PTSD course begins with earnest, more and more blossom.

September saw John Wayne arrive on the farm, bush fire season in full swing, near miss on the motorway, wheelies on the tractor, broody hens and Bonne-Bonne died. But parrots laid eggs.

October brought the rain. Dams filled up, so now have swimming pools. Soil Workshop huge success, oil pressing begins, dragonflies abound and mood is lifting. PTSD symptoms becoming clearer. Breakthrough with lifting of depression.

November saw a Russian hitchhiker picked up, and some not so pleasant anxiety attacks, but overall clearer head. Decreasing medication and a divorce end is in sight. Brush cutter rescued from dam and general naughty puppy antics as per usual. Lots of organic chemistry.

December is snake season and so far Rex and I have had 2 large carpet snakes here at the cottage. They hunt at night so I get rudely awoken at silly o'clock. But best news is that farm will become mine from early next year.....still cant believe its actually happening.

Off to Hawaii next week - so until then ......Aloha!

Next year I will have so much more to share - stick around folks cause I will keep posting weekly!

Happy New Year to you all  Woof!!

Comments

Popular Posts