05 Jan 2018

I was doing that dance. You know the one you do when you walk face first into a spiders web? Eek.
Yep - it was funny. Well I wouldn't have said so at the time, but now I am showered and de-webbed I can say my MJ orchard technique is pretty fancy pants. But the orchard is turning a corner...things are really starting to get there. I mean the work load from last March till now seems to have been never ending, but now I can actually see a light at the end of the tunnel. The light being both literal and metaphorical of course. The journey last year was well pretty damned difficult. ptsd. Yeah that shit is still trying to remind me its there. But what is it with new year? Things just seem to have levelled out...life is so much calmer.

I have a chook on the run. Hmmmm yes I have a delinquent young lady who refuses to go into her coop at night. What to do. Apart from trying more dance moves to catch her (not pretty) she has alluded me at every turn. I will just have to leave her to find sanctuary under the cottage. At least there are no more Carpet snakes around. Apparently they hunt in pairs?? Well snake number two arrived last week (not a good topic for xmas week) and unfortunately one of the baby chicks was suffocated. Snake snack? But I was able to stop it from eating the chick and made a snake bake in the incinerator. Yes I lost a chook but snake did not get away. So all is quiet at night now. No more snakes. Yet.

Rex.....
Has been naughty. I now have a pair of welly boots with one toe missing. Not much good they will be now, and yes he did it. Why? Jeez cause he can! But he will be going back to his Assistance training soon, so lets hope that will kerb some chewing antics. Suppose I could plant something in the remainder of said welly boot?

The last of the orchard spraying for season is now over. Wasp egg cards have all been distributed across both upper and lower orchards and the wait for the nuts to harden off begins. Well its been ongoing since beginning of December but the oils will accumulate the most this month, as well as cockatoos arriving again looking for some early morning snacking action. Damn them. I got drown out yesterday and today, which gave them a good spook.....so glad I bought that thing.

But my best update this week is to announce I am going on a farming course.....in Hawaii. Yes the Cho Global Natural Farming Level 2 certificate from 8-17 Jan in Papaikou, Hilo, Hawaii. This will give me the hands on training to fine tune all the work that's been going on here for last 10 months. And to think I will be in a hotel for 10 days ....with a flushing toilet! Bliss.

Comments

Popular Posts