04 Mar 2018

March? What already?? Now I am really feeling older. But thankfully the young energy of our two German WWOOFAs has given me a great boost of enthusiasm and energy to get moving these last two weeks. They have worked so hard and have really set a high bench mark for future visitor WWOOFAs here, and are a credit to their family, friends and country men.

To date they have learnt how and why we make Water Soluble Calcium, seen the preparations for Oriental Herbal Nutrient, collected enough macadamia root suckers for umpteen gallons of growth hormone fertiliser, plus various other organic related activities and general farm work. Needless to say I wish they could stay longer, as there is so much more I can teach them, but they are leaving this afternoon to continue their Australian adventures down to Brisbane, with a promise to return for a visit. Maybe the promise of a roast pork dinner is too alluring!

So as I sit here gazing up at my works programme for the year....its very satisfying to think we are on track to start the harvest season, in a few weeks time. Nuts have not dropped in any large numbers yet, but the oils in them are maturing in the late summer sun, so the longer they stay on tree, the better. And with the amount of rain we have had during February, the grass just keeps on growing...

That said the great unpack has also begun. Have you ever moved house then not unpacked for a year? Well, when I was down in the cottage, I had a very limited amount of space, so only a few essentials could be accommodated as such. Anyway its strange to unpack things you haven't seen for so long, then think, why do I need this? Particularly for clothes...I mean for last 12 months I have lived in same 4 outfits (interchangeably) and not missed one item of my finer attire. But most of those clothes will be donated to charity once the harvest season is finally finished; or cut up and reworked into something crafty again. It's a fear of waste I have - no not throwing anything away, but not reusing things effectively. Its the same on the farm with seeing fencing that can be reused in other places, and now that I own the property, the plan is to get fences reassessed in order to secure perimeter properly.

And that fencing must get done because the next big event to occur here will be tomorrow with the arrival of out newest animals. Goats. Yes my mobile mowing machines, with promise of usable manure will arrive tomorrow. And with the lack of a formal pen to house them in I have decided to put them into the old cottage! Yes, the goats will live in luxury until we get their pens built. So the young lass staying here this week had royal task to fit out cottage with tonnes of dry straw for out new arrivals, lovely sweet smelling grass, freshly cut. I reckon they will love their new Taj Mahal setup.

So with thoughts of sweet smells on my mind its off I go to prepare the final supper....Roast Pork, potatoes and all those yummy vegetables...oh yes ''apfel'' sauce too.

Comments

Popular Posts