24 March 2018

What is wrong with this weather? For anyone new to Australia, this rain on east coast of southern Queensland is just so unseasonal for this time of year and it just wont stop. So much for the ''red sky at night, shepherd's delight"!

But plod on we go, even to the extent of sliding around in the mud on my arse picking up nuts in the rain, by hand. Well I cant mow in the rain, cant harvest, and cladding a chicken coop is about all I can do. So sitting in the living room this morning wondering how the harvest will progress, I wonder if I can achieve all I have set out to do. Its daunting, but something inside me says ''yes''. With two new casual workers now here for 20 hours a week, and two new WWOOFAs due in 10 days time, I have to remain positive. Family then arriving in mid May too will boost the efficiency. But still I worry.

In fact the worry has caused some insomnia again, and I have had to resort to a few nights of sleeping pills. But its basically the rain that's causing the most worry. Ground to wet to do anything. So I revisited the paperwork from my p.T.S.D course again to revise the process of what to do with excessive stress, worry, sleeplessness. Funny, but I actually found the notes calming. Just knowing the folder with all that information was available, gave me a sense of security, grounding.

Then I looked up at a picture hanging on living room wall. Its a hand embroidered picture of a bird of paradise, nothing special, but I made this over 14 years ago, upon my return from Iraq. It was a subconscious craft project to calm the mind. And I used to sit at the dining room table on a Sunday morning in the winter sunlight stitching methodically, one section at a time. By remembering that project I can focus better on how to get through this first harvest, one nut collection at a time. Because going into business is not easy, and I can now see how much work is needed here for next 2.5 years. Lets hope the rain eases up a bit next week, so we can get something harvested.
Maybe I just need a day off to catch up on, stuff. And to rest.

So - goats. Yes they are still alive, and settling in beautifully to their little pen. And yes they have accepted the presence of the ever boisterous Labrador, giving him little nose nuzzles through the gate.
I have pondered on idea of getting some goose eggs, fertile of course, but maybe that's doing too much too soon. And then the beehives need splitting soon - where did that year go? For the first subdivision I don't expect to farm much honey, because I want the bees to use it for their fodder over this coming winter. Winter, that's a nice thought. No humidity, hopefully some clear crisp days/weeks to catch up on work here. And then of course there is the fireplace at night. Lovely warm house.

But next weekend is Easter here, and with the family gathering together it should be a great occasion to lay out the vision for the farm future with them, walk the farm together, and make some hot cross buns - with little chocolate eggs buried deep in the dough while they prove, thus making a hot molten chocolate centre - yummo. Yes yummo, woof. No Rex. Maybe a bone for you with bunny ears attached.

Comments

Popular Posts