29 July 2018

Life on the road this week, travelling south to do some training with microscopes.
Never a dull moment. So picking up from my last science class aged 16, (lol) we fell into step with preparing slides and solutions while staring into my eyepiece for hours on end. But the results have been worth it. Nematodes, Amoebas, Fungi, Bacteria and Protozoa - all found. Very satisfying.

Now with a brand new microscope to take back to the farm tonight I am ready to start soil analysis across the farm. This will give me the answers I’ve been working and waiting for. Microbes; and with the training in its beginnings am super charged excited to learn more. This is the start of the KNF training centre for the farm and the expansion of business. Got to get sheds cleared out now as a job that’s been waiting to be done for ages, but will again be very satisfying.

It seems the orchard has been shedding more nuts of a later variety. So the end of the season is not yet in sight. But not to sound too enthusiastic or too successful because as a farmer I am all too conscious of how hard other farmers in agriculture are doing it at the moment. You see Australia is in drought, maybe not in my area but in western NSW there is some very, very dry farmland with no grass on the land to feed livestock. It’s humbling to be doing well in a new business as the reality is next season could be completely different. That’s why I am diversifying my products on farm - for survival. To date that diversity includes a Finger Lime orchard and in time will also include a Truffle orchard. But both of these projects need irrigation which means fixing the blocked and badly maintained creek flow across the farm. And that began last month with heavy trench digging machinery.

But diversity is something we all have experience of. It’s a concept necessary for survival in all aspects of life. Being aware of that need was my key to just surviving leaving the Army. Learning to adapt in a different environment ( feel like a microbe under a microscope) is that key to survival. I don’t know where I would be if I’d stayed in Army - I know I’d not be happy that’s for sure. So I suppose there’s a strong element of Karma in all that; my life changed and for the better - to survive.

Now back to some news about that farm. Before I left to go on my training course I thought I saw some new shoots appearing in veggie plot; then there was the half eaten rat that Rex brought me early in week ( as a present of course) and the flush of orchard flowers continue to erupt in trees.

Ruby - now at 5 months old ( oh doesn’t time fly) is thoroughly settled in and SLEEPS outside! I think this week before I left on Thursday gave me first week of unbroken sleep in 2 months! Anyway she is with Rex at the kennel and gets her first hydro bath today. We will soon need to get a breeders certification arranged to organise her first litter next year. That’s just another part of diversity on the farm, another means of survival. But the concept there is to provide puppies for Guide Dogs Australia and for Veterans as Assistace Dogs. Hopefully we can donate one puppy away each litter for that purpose. Ruby has such a beautiful temperament I’m sure she’ll be fantastic mother.

On topic of motherhood those noisy Ringneck Parrots I have are beginning their pre season bickering. So every morning we put them outside on porch - such is the noise they make. But it’s all for a purpose, despite their ability to alert me to anyone arriving on farm! I expect two breeding pairs this Spring, which could mean raising one chick by hand, and selling others. Four parrots is enough thanks. Never underestimate the intelligence of a parrot - very clever creatures

So the week will end today on course and a long drive home back to my beautiful farm will follow.
Dogs to collect in the morning - two very bouncy excited and clean Labradors!

I do miss them both - but not after swimming in the dam though.

Comments

Popular Posts