8th July 2018

Sunday. Night. Busy. I hope you all liked the slide show last week - I certainly enjoyed making it.

So the dogs are now in an official de facto relationship. Tonight they will sleep together in same bed!!! And I will get a sound night sleep without a sneaky puppy snuggling and snoring on my bed.
Yes she is going very well, and is constantly by his side. He of course, is the best babysitter and watches over her daily. The test will come when I have to take them both to the Doggy Day Care for a 3 night stay. How will Ruby be once I pick her up? Of course they will be fine, just me and my mumsy worries.

He has also taken her swimming in the dam........yes filthy puppy.

The week has just flown by again, but one of our geese has flown away. Not sure where she is, but I am hoping she has just made a nest in long grass around the dam, grass that has the big arse brown snake in it. So we will have to get stuck in with the brushcutter to check. And speaking of brushcutters....three times we took back the one bought from Bunnings, and three times it broke.
Time for a refund me thinks. So now we have a brand new Honda Brushcutter, top of the range, and oh my god it is amazing. The garden beds have all been cleaned out with it, and front of farm looks pretty slick. Now to get some fencing in and a new front gate.

But tonight the geese made a milestone moment and went into the chicken coop to sleep!! Well with a big tempt from me - a tray of tasty chook food. The Gander is fabulous and lets me stroke his back while he feeds too. Hoping for a good clutch of goslings this Spring.

We have been making good progress with our veggie patch here too, and planted out the winter cabbage seedlings, some broad beans and leeks as well. Trick now is to keep the chickens and the dogs out. At least the farm has plenty of 'reusable' materials lying around to make sturdy animal proof fencing. Which reminds me about the 100 cubic metres of soil we have coming very soon to back fill under the trees and raise the orchard profile...that's gonna be a back breaking week of work. Anyway I still need to loose a few more kilos.

Today we got a stock of 90 macadamia seeds onto soak and then planted into sapling socks. That means (with some luck) we will have a stock of root stock saplings in about 5-6 weeks. These will be used to graft onto cuttings from within the main orchard and then be planted out into the rows where they are needed. The plan is to increase the size of the main orchards out to 3500 trees, but that will take about 5-7 years.

And finally one more project was started this week... the irrigation lines were all GPS mapped and are being upgraded to a digital system. This I cant wait for. But I don't think it will be ready until October at the earliest. And that's a worry as we are having a fairly warm winter at the moment, which is causing flowers to come out already!!! Holy crap, I haven't finished pruning yet!

Oh well, cést la vie. Life on the farm just rolls on. But its a very happy life indeed.

Cheers.

Comments

Popular Posts