26 August 2018

Its raining. Beautiful soft soaking rain, all night. We have not had any rain since end of May, and twice we have had to top up the house water tanks from the overflow tanks. But now thankfully this constant flow will fill all our tanks and soak the orchard. Its raining - thankyou God. You may not have heard about the drought in Australia, especially if you are reading this from US or Europe, but our droughts are shocking. In fact the new Prime Minister is apparently going out to visit these drought affected areas tomorrow. How about that; another new Prime Minister - politics  - don't get me started. I mean if the system can change the leader of the party like - snap - just like that, what's the problem with the Republican Party?? (Oops I said don't get me started.)

Ok. Its official the Goose is sitting on her eggs. Meaning she is either ready to begin the incubation or doesn't want to move. Anyway the Gander is a vicious bloody shit at the moment, so we are staying well clear of him. Even Ruby got chased this morning, when we walked down to let chooks out, etc. On the subject of Ruby, who is now 6 months old, she can swim and has been going for regular dips in dam. But this morning I got to play ''fetch'' with her, and she loves it. Until big bad Rex appears.

Its my stick, my stick, my stick. Really Rex.

And of cause Ruby has not heard thunder before. Currently she is lying out on grass, in the rain!

And so up with the sparrows again this morning I was to sort nuts. NUTS NUTS NUTS. I have nuts everywhere. Silo half full, trailer overflowing, wheelbarrows full; need to grow another six pairs of hands. With the harvest nearing an end we need to process so much that at times I don't have enough hours in the day. And still the trees are dropping nuts...

So a new little project is about to begin here on farm, with the addition of  a commercial kitchen. Yes we are stepping up the production and setting up our own bespoke catering area. It will probably take about a month to complete, but hoping to have it ready for mid October markets and then some Xmas sales. It will be in the existing outdoor double garage, which will be half office and half kitchen. With the architect arriving on Friday morning, he promised that drawings would be ready for council submission in two weeks, then it will take a month for planning approval. Quite exciting really. Finally getting to grips with all the other little plans that the farm has for me.

Another little event to occur soon will be the arrival of our next WWOOFA, this time from France.
Will have to dust off those French cookbooks before he arrives. Mmmm crème brulee and crepe suzette. Yum. But the best part apart having WWOOFA visitors, is just meeting new people, getting to share life experiences over a good meal. And of course I love teaching people about the Korean Natural Farming that we practice here. With our farm conference to be held on the 4 October, I suppose I should get the presentation ready as well. For that we will need to get the microscope up and running to demonstrate the levels of microbes growing in our IMO 3 here. All that life in such a small droplet of liquid, its incredible really.

Ruby has just come into garage and peed on the floor.....hmmm. Little miss Princess doesn't want to get her too-shee wet.

But the rain has stopped for a while now and that lovely clean freshness is in the air. It is truly a blessing to live here and despite the long hours, days and weeks I am definitely in a better head space, compared to 12 months ago. And for that matter 24 months ago. Depression is a devil of a condition. Its not until you come full circle that you can see how bad things actually were. And my god they were bad. But now the sun is coming out. Not just on my farm, but on my life. The rain is shimmering across the orchard and with each deep breath I take, I feel blessed, again and again.




Comments

Popular Posts