25 November 2018

In one month it will be Christmas. That leaves 30 days of crazy frantic buying of items that we think people, friends, family want; planning for meals that we probably wont eat; cleaning of a house only to fill it with old dusty decorations; and drinking excess alcohol over and over.

Why am I sounding so cynical? I don't know, maybe I just like the sound of it. Usually I just sit on the fence. But in reality this year will be quite a celebration for our farmhouse. Its our first family Christmas in the farmhouse, and first time I will put up the Christmas tree for many years. Because last year I was alone in the cottage. Maybe that's why I'm feeling so cynical. The memories of happier times that are not with me... only as memories. Children grow up and move away. People separate and get divorced. Life goes on. And so yet again Christmas rolls around, in 30 days time.

In 31 days I can say what my news years resolution is going to be. Not counting till next Christmas.

Its hot. Yes Australian summers are like that. And any potential WWOOFAs reading this should take heed....AUSTRALIA IS HOT! And we have lots of snakes, spiders, sharks and sunburnt tourists. And talking about tourists, I noticed 5 people from Poland reading the blog. What, where, how??? I am constantly amazed at the smallness of our planet and how such a simple act of writing on a blog can be read by people so far away on, the other side of the world.

And 15 people from an unknown region?? What is that supposed to mean? Unknown? Who knows, its just what the statistics log says on this blog. So another week goes by. A trip to see the doctor too. Which in itself is nothing to worry about, just a pain in the arse having to rehash PTSD issues again...and again....AND again.(Ok now you know why I'm so cynical this week). Just the symptoms I deal with and will continue to cope with.

Ruby is snoring at my feet. Rex is somewhere. Parrots are squawking for orange peel or something. Goats are playing on the dam edge, while deforesting the grass banks. Chooks are just...chooks. And ganda goosey is noisy as. But the goslings are growing fast and are starting to loose their baby downiness. And then this afternoon I will take the two snoring muts to the beach for a swim and run about. That should cheer me up a bit. Sounds of fresh crashing waves on the beach.

I suppose some weeks it feels like there is so much to get done, and too many bills to pay, and never a day off to rest and not worry about how this business will progress. And yet it is progressing, I cant deny that. But it does scare me - the thought that if a fire came through property, or illness or some other hideous disaster...it could all disappear. And yet all that is really important to me are my animals and my orchards. Two dogs, two goats, three parrots, five geese, nine chooks. 1800 trees. Everybody else can look after themselves.

The happy sounds of splashing's from in the swimming pool with the hum of summer cicadas; heat shimmer's in a gentle easterly breeze through the orchard; a persistent Willy Wag-tail call over distant highway trucks and a snoring baby Labrador under the desk. All sounds of peace and contentment. But we do have a holiday planned in January, so that's what I must look forward to now...a proper rest in the sun.

I should try to feel more lucky.

Comments

Popular Posts