03 Feb 2018

Well this morning is my first morning on the farm, where I can truly call it mine. Eleven months ago I arrived here and what a rollercoaster year it has been. Setting out on this journey over 12 months ago, leaving the Army, dealing with depression, moving to farm, getting treated for ptsd, divorced then finally getting the farm sale sorted. What a year. So much has happened here. So many ups and downs and milestones met. Its been stressful but now I couldn't be happier.

And this weekend we move up into the main farmhouse - hell I might even light the pot belly stove!

Now with the future secured for the farm and the program of organic works planned, I can truly get my teeth stuck into the work I need to do here. This year will be huge. Korean Natural Farming will take a huge leap and go from low to medium density use to daily inputs, with all liquid fertilisers made on site, a bespoke trial for the new organic pesticide I have developed, more livestock to arrive to produce organic manures, (goats next month) and the plans for the new Indigenous Microorganism Training Centre to be completed. Yes a training centre here on the farm.

At the moment its being advertised through the Indiegogo Fundraising website. Check out the link below...

Indigenous Microorganism Training Centre

The concept is to build a training centre on the farm to teach how to do Korean Natural Farming. This centre will have a bespoke laboratory classroom and onsite accommodation available to cater for a three month internship program for long term single unemployed people, and WWOOFs, to teach them skills in horticulture and KNF, to eventually help them get back into the workforce. If you'd like to get involved then click on the link to make a donation. There are free gifts of 2kg of nuts available as well to first 100 $50 donations.

So what else has been happening this week....oh yes an encounter with a Paper Wasp nest. Never amazes me the close calls I have sometimes.

The wasp nest was right in front of me, as I was merrily mowing away under the trees. In a complete daydream I was, totally enjoying the new toy and the speed it can cut back weeds; until the pain hit - on my face. I have never been stung by a wasp before, but the dancing I was doing as I jumped off the new zero turn mower, must have got them fired up even more. Such a wonderful way to spend an afternoon in the orchard, swatting paper wasps out of my hair. The main sting was just below my right eye, with quite a few cuts across my fingers. Now I know why they are called Paper Wasps. Stings are like paper cuts - OUCH. I had to spray the nest with wasp killer - against my better judgement to not destroy insects on farm, but I couldn't get back on mower as nest was right in front of it! But it was not so bad after a dip into the dam to cool off.

Needless to say my new Massey Ferguson 50" zero turn mower is certainly doing the business.

But the rains have finally arrived yesterday and moving equipment around must be done to get ready for that harvesting. The orchards are really looking shmick now and not too soon as well; harvesting will start next month. Hey that's this month! In fact next week!!! 

Eeek

Comments

Popular Posts